Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Home Made Liquid Laundry Soap

I am sure I have mentioned it at one time or other, that I am frugal (cheap). I will squeeze a nickle untill the Buffalo pees. I save all left overs and create other meals. Nothing goes to waste. Dry things like, left over bread, cookies, crackers, popcorn, and pancakes are diced or crumbled and given to the Wild Birds. Meats and vegies are mixed into the dog food. Yes my Puppies will eat green beans, corn and peas mixed into their food. I have also made Doggie Cookies. I use cold water to wash my clothes, newspaper to Windex my mirrors and windows and when a soap bar gets down to a sliver I stick it to the New Bar. I save the condaments that aren't used in take out bags, like ketchup, jellies, butters and sour cream. See I told you I was cheap! Well I read quite a few Blogs and something that was going around the Blog World was a Home Made Liquid Soap Recipe. I saw this quite a few times and even the Pioneer Woman (a very well know blogger) uses it. So I thought if it is good enough for her it might just work for ME. So here it is.....

This is what you will need. A 5 gallon plastic bucket with a lid, a box of 20 Mule Team Borax, a box of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda...not Baking Soda, a bar of Fels-Naptha washing soap and a grater or sharp knife. These can all be purchased at WalMart in the detergent aisle.

First you will grate the Fels-Naptha Bar. I grated about 1/2 of the bar and whittled the other 1/2 with a knife...my arm got tired. After the grating of the soap.....

put about 4 cups of water in a sauce pan and add the soap. Bring this to a boil and reduce the heat. Stir untill it has all melted.

It will look like this.

Now measure out 1 cup of the Washing Soda and put in your 5 gallon bucket.

Measure out 1 cup of the Borax and add it to the bucket.

Add about 4 cups of very hot water to the powders and stir. You may have to put your hands in there to crush some of the clumps.

Now pour the melted soap water into the bucket and stir. Now this is when you will take your bucket and put it in your garage or laundry room. Fill the bucket almost to the top with very hot water (about 6 inches from the top) and stir. I used a broom handle to stir. This then will sit 24 hours. When you think about it, give it a stir, every once in a while in the next 24 hours.

This is what you end up with. It is thick about like gravy. There will be some lumps that will come to the top. Squish then with your hands or just leave them be. Now you will put this in containers. Milk jugs, laundry contains you have saved, any thing with a lid. You will want to shake it before you use it. One cup for a regular load and I use about 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups for my ex-large washer. So far it has worked pretty good for ME & AJ. We do not really get our clothes dingy-dirty and I always Shout Out the stains before washing. This was kind of fun making...will I do it again?

Maybe

or

Maybe not! ♥

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Only Self-Cleaning thing in my Kitchen, is the Cat.




















No comments:

Post a Comment