Total Pageviews

Monday, March 30, 2009

March 30, 2009




~~~

~~~

~~~

Today the alarm went off at 5:00 AM. I did not want to get up, but I knew I HAD HAD HAD to. I was scared and happy at the same time. The day was finally here. The day that would make AJ's life better. After today there would be no more of the Dreaded, Hated, and Detested SVT (Supraventricular Tachycardia, a very rapid heart beat, 200 or more beats a minute). I got up and made coffee for ME, AJ was not allowed to have anything to drink after midnight the night before. Drinking coffee without my Drinking Buddy was not that satisfying, but it did help wake me up. We left the house at 6:30 AM, we had to be at the Hospital by 7:00 AM.


We got there right at 7:00 and we were scheduled for 9:00 AM, the first Procedure of the day. After the Paper Work was filled out AJ was taken to the prep area and was put in a Hospital Gown and an IV was put in the back of his hand. I was then allowed to go back with him. He was taken into the Procedure Room at 8:45 AM.


We were told by the Doctor these Procedures take 2 hours, 3 at the most. They were going to go into the heart with wires through veins in the groin. They would speed up the heart, find the spot where the trouble was and he would have a Cardiac Ablation (burn and remove). He would be sleeping this whole time. 4 Hours in the Recovery Room and then home.

Sounds fairly easy.

Guess again!


At 9:00 AM Wade, Julie, Ryan, Jennifer and ME were in the Hospital Cafeteria eating breakfast. We were taking our time, watching and enjoying the Baby, after all we had till 11:00 or maybe 12:00 before AJ would be out. We then went back to the waiting room. Wade and Edward settle back for some conversation, Jennifer and Julie talk "Kids", and I watch Price is Right. Now it is 11:00. Wade and Edward are still deep in conversation, Julie has taken Ryan for a walk and Jen has joined ME in front of the TV. Ok, 2 hours has gone by, the Doc said sometimes 3 hours. It is now Noon. No word on AJ. I am now staring at the TV but not seeing it! Jen picks up on my uneasyness and goes to the desk to see if she can get any information on AJ. In a short time a Nurse from the back comes out and tells us AJ is still on the table.
What!
Why?
She says he is still sleeping comfortablely.
What is going on? This is not going the way I was told.
Now I am scared, no I am mad, no I am confused!
Thank God! here is the Doctor.
He says "It's a Failed Operation".
He did all he could and just could not find the problem. He said if he had worked the heart any longer there was the chance AJ could have had a Heart Attack. He then went on to say that AJ would have to wait 2 months to heal and then be admitted to the Hospital where a Team of Doctors would do the Ablation. This time the Procedure could last 12 to 15 hours.
Oh my gosh! I can not believe this! All this for nothing! I thought it was over, but it's just beginning.
20 minutes later AJ is in the Recovery Room and is awake. After 4 1/2 ours I can go back to see him. He is still groggy and kind of funny acting. I choose not to tell him yet about the Failed Procedure. The Doctor decides to keep AJ over night and he is admitted to the Hospital. AJ is now wondering whats going on, this is not happening the way we were told. "Did something go wrong" he asks. "You're ok" I tell him "They just want to watch you for awhile". They take him to his room and 2 Nurses are getting him settled in. We are all outside the room waiting to go in. When the nurses finish settleing him in we are allowed in and he says "The Nurses said I did not get the Ablation, is that right?". I am speechless! Jennifer tells him the problem the Doctor had. She then goes on to tell him what had to be done next. AJ looks the way I feel.
The Doctor now comes in and goes into great detail about what had happened and what needs to be done next.
The Doctor is very disappointed and he shows it.
He tells AJ he really wanted to fix him.
I really believe this Man did all he could to fix AJ's SVT and had the good judgement to stop before there was a bigger problem.
I am sitting here all alone and feeling very sorry for myself.
AJ will go back on his Oral Drugs to help controll his SVT.
I will go back to watching him for tell-tell signs of a problem, like swelling ankles, and paleness.
The next 2 months will go by so slow, but yet they will fly by.
I know there are people out there with bigger problems then this and I do feel for them,
but right now all I can think about is AJ's SVT
and it is really consuming me.
~~~



No comments:

Post a Comment