Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Homemade Enchilada Meal... ("\(*-*)/") OLE!!!!!

Now I have said this in the past and I will say it again...since I do like saying it...I am a Good Cook! The small town I was raised in had alot of Mexican folk. There were "Real" Mexican Restaurants and there also was a store that you could purchase "Real" Mexican Food items like Goat Cheese, Homemade Fresh flour or corn tortillas and my favorite, that I miss to this day, "Real Chorizo" a Mexican Sausage you mixed with ground beef for Tacos and Enchilatas. I have made this meal for years and years and it is always a hit with my bunch! This is a close version of the Enchiladas I would get in the Mexican Restaurants when I was growing up.
This recipe will make 22 Enchiladas. You will need two 9" x 13" pans and about 2 pounds of meat. You can use all Hamburger or 1 pound hamburger and 1 pound ground pork or turkey. You will cook this crumbly until cooked all through. If there is alot of liquid after cooking you can drain it, if a little, just leave it.
Now you will peel about 5 medium potatos and cut in 1/4ths and boil till fork tender. Then drain & cool until you can handle them.
You will cube the cooled potatoes over the meat.
Now you will add about 1/2 a bag, more or less, of Frozen Green Peas. You will then very gently stir this all together untill the meat, potatoes and peas are mixed.
I use Old ElPaso Enchilada Sauce. It come in 3 heats. The best for my Family is 2 mild and 1 medium. You will need 3 cans.
I also use Mission Flour Tortillas...Small Fajita size...22 in a package. You will open your 3 cans of sauce and empty in a good size bowl. Add 1/4 cup water to the sauce and mix. Spray your pans with no stick spray and heat the Oven to 350 degrees.
Now we are going to build our Enchiladas. First dip the flour tortilla in the sauce to coat. Then place it in the pan and add the meat mixture. I do not know how much maybe 1/2 a cup? Just not to much...but don't be stingy! I dribble a tablespoon or so of the sauce onto the meat mixture before I roll them up.
Now you will take the back flap and fold it over onto the meat and then take the front flap and fold it onto the back flap. The sauce will work as a glue and with a little pressure the flaps will stick together. They may pop undone as you are filling more...just keep pressing the flaps back down...they will finally stick!
Now this is a little clean up trick I use when cooking. I get a plastic bag...I hate plastic bags! did you know that a plastic bag will still be in the dump 5oo years from now!....all my trash from cooking my meal is put in the bag that is sitting on my counter. After I am finished preparing the meal, tie a knot in the bag and toss it! No stinky garbage laying open in your waste basket. Pretty smart...right?
Now after you have built all your Enchiladas, pour the rest of the sauce evenly over the enchiladas...your pans should look like this.
Now you will sprinkle them with shredded cheese of your choice. Cover them with foil and bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees.

Remove from oven and let them sit for about 5-10 minutes. Remove foil and serve.

I like to serve mine with plain Lettuce and Tomato on the side and some really good Salsa. Now these will probably break apart and some of the inside fall out while serving...just spoon it back onto the plate. These are so good! You can cut the recipe in half...you can add more or less veggies....make them as you like! I hope you try them. But since this is a Secret Recipe do not share it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cats are Purrrr-fect Pets!

No comments:

Post a Comment