Total Pageviews

Monday, April 9, 2012

Being Frugal....(Cheap!)

I would like to say I am FRUGAL, but the truth is I am CHEAP! I will squeeze a Nickle untill the Buffalo pees. One thing I hate to do is throw stuff away that still has some value to it. I give alot of donations to Our Town's No Kill Pound's Thrift Store, or to any organization that calls for a donation of clothing or housewares. AJ & ME eat left overs or if they are suitable mix them in with the Puppie's food. Dry bread, old crackers or pastries are given to our wild birds. I buy used Baby Stuffies for my Dog Toys. They are only a quarter or so at Yard Sales and they are safer then real Dog Toys....they are made for human babies! Below are a few things I do to save a penny and a few hints to maybe make your life a little easier. Somethings you may laugh at (AJ does!) and it will not hurt my feelings... and somethings you may say "ahhhhh good idea".
This is my Candle Warmer. I have found the candles last longer in a warmer then if you burn them. It is also safer.
This is my Battery Charger. Buying batteries can put you in the Poor House. Almost everything in my home that needs a battery has a chargeable one in it.
Okay I am Cheap but I am also "Green". I try to recycle any time I can. I ask for paper bags over plastic ones. I will take my Christmas cards that are sent to ME & AJ (and they are getting fewer ever year) and cut out the pretty picture on the front...punch a hole in the corner and thread a ribbon in the hole and use it as a Name Tag on Christmas Gifts. I regift...if I can get away with it and I save Christmas Boxes and Bags to use the next year. One thing I do all year long is ^ up there. When I go through my mail (mostly junk mail) if the back side is plain and not printed on I save that sheet of paper. I then have a little stash of scribble paper. I am always writing notes, making lists, and joting things down from the computer. This way I am recycling and saving a little by not buying writing pads.
This is a hint. First if you take pills always have them in a Pill Box with the days on it. I am always saying "did I take my pill?" This way you will know, just look at the box! I take my pills in the morning and at night, so to remind me to take them in the morning ...the first thing I do in the morning, is get coffee, so my Pill Box is sitting right on my coffee cups, can't miss the pills!
Where do you keep your Wastepaper Bags? I keep mine in the bottom of my Wastepaper Basket. Take the full bag out and no hunting for bags...there they are!
This will save you alot of Money. If you have ever had a grease fire flare up on your stove you might want one of these close by. Cheaper to buy a Fire Extinguisher then to remodel a kitchen.
Take-out condiments...we all get them. But do you use them or toss them out with the bag? In this House AJ & ME use them. They are great when you have cook-outs. Put out all the Catsups, Mustards, BBQ Sauces, Salt & Peppers, Mint Candies, napkins and what ever else you aquire in those Take-out Bags. Use them up!
This will save you money because once you have this you will never buy any more Plastic Containers. I have one and bought a set for Jen and my Mom. They cost about $20.00. You get 3 sizes and the lids fit all the sizes. They all stack together in the rack. The rack slides out of the cabinet so they are easy to get to. This set takes up little room, so now you are organized and have more cabinet space.
These will not save you money and they do take up space in the freezer....but I love them.
This could save you a penny. Ever open up a can and only drink 1/2 of it. Put it in the fridge and the next day dump it out because it has gone flat? This Little Can Topper fits on the can and has a screw top so your soda will not go flat and with the lid screwed on will not spill if turned over.
Now if you can not find this Handy Dandy Can Topper in your local stores...just get a 12 oz plastic Coke and save the bottle. Pour your can of soda into the bottle...drink...cap and store! This is Sam"s Cola in a Coke Bottle I hope I don't get sued :o(
Do not buy thoses cute little plastic bag closers that seem to always break! Good old wood Clothes Pins work the best. And when that Box of Cereal gets down to a bowl or two left in the bag...throw the box away, close the bag with a clothes pin. More space in the cabinet :o)
Buy in Bulk Sizes, saves you money. I buy Big sizes and refill small containers. Some I didn't show are, Oat Meal, Mayo, Mustard, Dry Dog & Cat Food, Salt & Pepper and Shout Stain Remover.
I love these containers for Bacon & Onions and ...........they stay fesher long and don't stink up the fridge.
I can't live without my "Debbie Meyer Green Bags". They do keep your Fruits and Veggies fresher longer. Really! and that saves you money.
How often do you go to make something and it says you need 1/2 cup of Green Pepper and Celery. and you do not have it. These do not keep long in the Crisper so usually we have to run out and buy a Green Pepper and a Big Bag of Celery when we only need a stalk. Then usually the rest of the pepper and celery go bad before we need them again and they are tossed out. Well I always have those 2 Veggies in my freezer. When I use the last of the Pepper or Celery I replace it in the freezer. It will last forever in the freezer.
When Oleo or Butter is on sale I stock up and freeze it also. When the Cookie recipe calls for one stick of butter or margerine-I got it! next to the Oleo you will also see a bag of Orange rind frozen. That "add 1 Tablespoon of Orange Zest" in the recipe is not going to catch ME off guard.
Toilet Paper cardboard rolls are a must. I use them for storing Plastic Bages (throw the boxes away and make more room in the drawer) and for keeping my Extension Cords untangled.
Do you remember I said earlier you may laugh at some of my suggertions? Well the next 3 AJ laughs at Me so just go ahead and chuckle. When our bars of soap gets down to a sliver I stick them together or stick the sliver onto the new bar I just opened.
Not pretty but it works. Hey I am trying to save you Pennies!!!!!
I told AJ to get all of the Tooth Paste out of his tube and when he was ready to toss it, give it to ME. Ya I bet you think this is ready for the Waste Basket...WRONG!!!!!!!
Cut the end off and there is enough Tooth Paste left for at least 2 regular brushings or one really big mouthful of toothpaste for 1 brushing.
Okay, when that Deodorant is clear down and you are ready to toss it. Did you know there is alot-alot left inside. You can pick a chunk out and hand rub it on your underarms. Hey back in the Mid-century and earlier, deodorant came in a cream form and you put it on with your fingers. Of course I do not remember that! But hey, if my Fore-mothers could use their pinkies to apply deordorant, so can I, in a pinch!
Now this is a very unique way of saving a Penny and not everone has access to this. Did you know that a raw egg every so often is good for your Dog or Cat? It is, and our Puppies and Kitties get raw eggs about once ever 2 weeks. I break them, add a touch of water and stir them up as though I were making scrambled eggs. Then seperate the eggs in seperate bowls and they all get their own bowl of eggs. Now the Unique thing is my eggs are free. Can you see the 3 small eggs atop of the regular size eggs? Well the small eggs are Pigeon Eggs. AJ will bring the Little Eggs in after feeding the Pigeons and when I finally have enough of these tiny eggs, the Pets have there Egg Treat.
Well that's it...take it or leave it! Hey I have more Hints and I know you just can't wait for ME to share!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No amount of time can erase the memory of a Good Cat ♥
&
no amount of Masking Tape can ever remove his fur from your couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment