Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Storm? ME

This is hard solid ice.
~~~
~~~
~~~
I feel sorry for any out side Animal that might have been hit with one of these.
~~~
~~~
~~~

Some were smooth and some very bumpy.
~~~
~~~
~~~


Pea size.
~~~
~~~
~~~

You can not see it but my windshield is cracked by the Large Hail.
Also Cass's windshield is cracked.
~~~
~~~
~~~


There was so much rain the water was over the curb. My road looked like a small river.
~~~
~~~
~~~
About 2:15 PM my Mom Called Me and ask if I was wathching the weather. I said no the TV was off. She said we could possibly have a Tornado. I said "Mom this is Febuary, we will not have a tornado". I then turn on the TV to see what she was reacting to. At that time Gary England said "People in Yukon take your Tornado Precautions, get to shelter". The phone rings and it is Jen, "Do I have time to go to the school and get Madison?". (The sirens are now blowing the tornado warning!) "NO! -I don"t know?" I yelled into the phone and hung up. I then called my 83 year old Mom "Mom get into a closet now!" I then head out the back door in pouring down rain and pea sized hail to my under ground Shelter. I did take the cell phone. I get a call from AJ, who is at work, and tell him I am in the shelter and I am fine. In the shelter it sounds as if a monster is banging on the steel door. After about 10 minutes I hear a Fog Horn sound and know this is the all clear siren. I open the door and find my back yard covered with large Tennis Size hail balls.
About 10 minutes after this episode here comes Jen, who has gone to the school and got Madison. 5 minutes later here comes Cass from High School. I have called my Mom and she is out of the closet and is fine. We are all rattled but okay. We now are in a false state of security. The Storm has come and gone and we are all fine!!! Does that last? NO! The sirens go off again, "take cover" again it told to us over the TV. The 4 of us Girls are out the door to the Shelter. I am now calm because they are safe with me. I again call Mom and say "Go to the closet" and she does. While we are down in the Hole a knock-knock comes on the steel door and it is AJ. He had told the Guys at work he had to get home. He did not want his Wife (ME) alone. I just Love that Man! We let him in and soon the all clear blows again. Now when we get out along with the melting Tennis Ball Size Hail there is Pea Size Haol. The ground is white and very hard to walk on.
I am now loosing my time frame. I do know after AJ got home we went to the shelter 2 more times. This started at 2:30PM and we were not clear of storms and warnings till 6:30 PM.
I am very scared of Tornados and after the "BIG ONE" on May the 3rd we got an under ground Shelter. This has really put my mind at ease some. If there is time for all my Loved Ones to get down in the hole with ME I am very calm. This storm came so fast no one had time to go anywhere, just protect themselves where they were. The Schools took very good care of my Grandaughters till we could get them. Jen had enough sense to not leave the house to get Madison but to find shelter in her bathroom. Mom got the Cat and went to the closet. I went to the Shelter and AJ did what he had to do at work to stay safe. When it was safe we did all come together at my house for protection under ground. Although no Tornados touched down in my Town, the Storm did move North and did have a Tornado touch down and do quite a bit of damage to businesses on Northwest Highway.
I just get a sinking feeling in my stomach when I think of the Spring Months ahead of us. I believe this was just a sample of what is to come. A Trial Run!






1 comment: