Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Audrey ll

For at least 15 years I have planted
a small garden. I have had Tomatos, Potatos,
Spinich, Beets, Turnips, Green Beans,
English Peas, Radishes, Rhubarb,
Leaf Lettuce, Sweet Corn and Yellow Summer Squash.
The only thing I planted every year was Tomatos.
I tried the other veggies a few times,
but they really never
were worth the trouble or the extra money
on our water bill. So I just stuck with
tomatos.
I also had a hole in the corner of my garden
that I would throw in veggie peelings, coffee
grounds and egg shells. It was a small
Compost. I used the rich soil for planting
flowers. This year I told AJ "Just let the
Garden grow over with grass. No more Garden."
I did plant 2 Tomato Plants in a bare spot
in our back yard and they are doing fine.
Well, little did I know laying in my compost
hole was a seed just waiting for warm
weather, sun and rain. A squash plant
started to grow in the un-wanted garden.
I showed it to AJ and he said just leave it alone.
So we did and it grew and grew and grew.
Soon it was blocking us from mowing the
the grass that was growing in the old garden spot.
Soon it was growing in the yard. Growing in
with flowers and around the Bird Bath.
What is this plant? There were yellow squash
blooms, so I thought it to be a
Yellow Summer Squash. Soon we saw
little green squash...and they grew,
but never turned Yellow.
What is this plant? The Summer Squash
should be bright yellow at this size.
Well, we let them grow
waiting for the yellow to appear. Soon
they were so big and still a pale green.
I told AJ these must be
Winter Butternut Squash...but they
are so big. If we don't pick them now
they will loose their sweetness if they
get much bigger. So I picked them!
Now AJ and ME love Butternut Squash.
I peel them, cut them in large cubes,
sprinkle them with brown sugar
and dot them with butter.
Bake in baking pan covered for 1 hour
at 350 degrees. Yummmm!!!!
So, I should have known when I picked
these Giants, they were still greenish colored
not tan and the stem was green, not brown.
They just did not look like the Butternut Squash
I purchase at the store. To big, neck to long,
bulb not big enough and not the right color.
Well they are Butternut Squash and Yep I
had picked them to soon. I peeled one hopeing
when I cut it open it would be the bright
orange color of a ripe Butternut Squash.
Much like the color of a Pumpkin.
Nope, no such luck it was a pale yellow. It
had been picked to early.
I got on the Web and read sometimes the Squash
will ripen after picked if in a cool place.
Cool place in Oklahoma in July! where?
I have a few more coming on and they will
stay on the vine till the first frost!
~~~~
Do you understand Audrey ll ????
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~
~~~
~~
~

Little Shop of Horrors



1 comment:

  1. We love butternut squash. My favorite way to prepare it is fry some bacon and pan saute/fry the squash (cubed) in the drippings, sometimes with a little onion or garlic. Crumble the bacon and toss it back in with the squash. Serve!

    Love Ya!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete